Friday, October 28, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls...Or Not

  I absolutely love Cinnamon Rolls; they're a staple in our home. I also love Orange Rolls, something my husband does not. These particular rolls are my compromise with him. He enjoys these rolls because of the addition of pineapple. 
  I've mentioned before how I like to find multiple uses for all my THRIVE ingredients. The 9 Grain Cracked Cereal has become one of my favorite products. I love that I can incorporate nine grains into my family's diet in a variety of ways. If you haven't seen my recipe for 9 Grain Buttermilk Muffins, it's a must-try.
  Get creative! Try using a THRIVE product in a way you haven't before.
 
9 Grain Pineapple-Orange Rolls

2 T. yeast 
¼ c. warm water                                                      
6 Tbsp. THRIVE Powdered Eggs 
1 c. + 6 Tbsp. warm water
1 c. THRIVE 9 Grain Cracked Cereal powder (Ground in a wheat grinder)
4 ½-6 c. THRIVE White Flour                             
½ c. THRIVE White Sugar                               
½ c. shortening
2 t. THRIVE Salt
2 ½ c. THRIVE FD Pineapple (Blend in food processor to a powder)                                               
2 Tbsp. THRIVE White Sugar
additional shortening for spreading

  In a small bowl combine yeast and ¼ cup water; let soften.
  Combine egg powder and 2 ½ cups flour in bowl of stand mixer. Add yeast mixture then everything else but remaining flour. Beat till smooth. Add flour a little at a time, and mix till dough is soft and no longer sticks to the sides or bottom of the bowl. Transfer dough to a large bowl that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray; cover and raise till double.  
  Turn dough onto floured surface and roll into a ½” thick rectangle, spread with shortening and sprinkle with pineapple powder and 2 tablespoons sugar. Roll lengthwise and cut into rolls. Place in greased baking dish; cover and raise till double.
  Bake 350 degrees 20 min. Top with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.

Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:

4 oz. Cream Cheese                          1/2 tsp. Vanilla
3 Tbsp. Butter, softened                     4 Tbsp. reconstituted THRIVE Instant Milk
3 c. THRIVE Powdered Sugar            ¼ c. THRIVE Mandarin Oranges

  Heat milk to boiling; add mandarin oranges and whisk to dissolve. Beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in milk until spreading consistency. 

1 comment:

  1. These are AMAZING. I really love any kind of orange rolls but these have the perfect mix of real orange flavor but are not sickly sweet. I also really like adding the 9 grain cereal. At least then I can think it is healthy.

    Thanks for an incredible recipe.

    ReplyDelete