Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Canning-Plum Jam

  I hope you've been enjoying the posts on canning. Canning is such an inexpensive way to provide for your family, and help improve your self reliance. 
  My next canning adventure took me to Plum Jam. Why plum? Well, because I received a bunch of them in the produce basket I get through the co-op (click here for details on the co-op I'm a part of). Why didn't I just eat the plums? Because they went from rock hard to shriveling, which is unusual, but not completely unheard of.
  I found a recipe which required no pectin. I didn't want to use pectin, so I could save it for my Grape Jelly (still to come). I used this recipe from Savory Sweet Life, but left the skin on the plums (for added flavor and nutrition). I placed the diced plums in a large saucepan, added the lemon juice, covered with a lid and let simmer 15 minutes. Once the plums were tender I pureed them, the strained through a fine mesh strainer. I followed the remainder of the instructions as given.
  I got one pint of Plum Jam for my efforts. Well worth it! Especially when most people would have taken one look at those shriveled plums and thrown them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment